Well, you know about kali Linux right! It is the most beloved operating system of pentesters and hackers. With tons of hacking tools backed by a large community of active online users, Kali Linux is the best choice to start learning pen testing and become a bug hunter. You can use kali Linux with different methods like by making a live USB, install it on your PC, dual booting it with other OS like Windows 10, or you can easily install and use it on a virtual machine.
In this article, you will learn how to install Kali Linux on Virtualbox. There are many options available to choose for virtual machine some of them are free and for some, you have to pay. I will use virtual box to use with Kali Linux because it is a free and open source, and comes with a very easy to use interface.
Also Read: How to dual boot Windows 10 and Kali Linux
You can use virtual box to install other operating systems too like Android, Windows, MAC, and another version of Linux.
How to install Kali Linux on Virtualbox
Before we begin to install Kali Linux on VirtualBox download Kali Linux and Virtual Box according to your System architecture(64bit or 32bit) and OS(Windows, MAC, or Linux):
- Latest version of kali Linux → Get it now
- Latest version of VirtualBox→ Get it now
- Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack for All supported platforms → Get it now
Extension pack provides the following added functionality:
- The virtual USB 2.0 (EHCI) device.
- VirtualBox Remote Desktop Protocol (VRDP) support.
- Host webcam passthrough.
- Intel PXE boot ROM.
- Experimental support for PCI passthrough on Linux hosts.
Step 1: Install virtual box on your PC.
The installation process of VirtualBox is simple just open the setup you downloaded earlier and click next leave everything as default till finish.
Step 2: Create the virtual machine to install Kali Linux.
Start the virtual box and follow these steps to create the virtual machine:
- Click on the New option at the top
- Name your OS i.e Kali Linux and choose type as Linux, select the version 64bit or 32bit must same as the kali Linux ISO you have downloaded click Next.
- Choose your Memory size i.e Ram size must be equal or greater than 1024 MB which is equal to 1 GB.
- Create a hard disk for your virtual machine.
- Choose your Hard disk file type as VDI(Virtual Disk Image)
- Choose Dynamically allocated
- Set your Hard disk size 20 GB or greater, and click on create.
Your Virtual machine is ready to install Kali Linux.
How to install Kali Linux on Virtualbox
Follow these steps to install kali Linux on your newly created virtual machine:
- Click on the settings options
- (1)Choose storage (2)choose Empty (3)Click on DVD icon next to IDE Secondary Master (4) Choose a Virtual CD/DVD disk file, Which is the Kali Linux ISO you have downloaded. Click Ok.
- Click on the start button to begin the kali Linux installation on your virtual machine
- Choose Graphical Install, because it is easy to use.
- Choose your Language and click contineue.
- Enter a host name.
- I have to skip some parts because they are very simple just leave them default and click continue until you reach here to choose your password.
- I have to skip some parts just leave them default choose continue until you reach here. Choose Guided- use entire Disk and click contineu.
- One step has been skipped just choose default and click continue until you reach to select partition Scheme. Choose All files in one Partition because it is recommended for the beginners.
- Choose Finish and click Continue.
- Choose Yes and click continue to start the installation process.
- Wait till the installation gets done.
- After the installation gets done you have to Remove the Kali Linux ISO image. Go to settings and choose storage under the Controller: IDE click on Kali-linux-2016 and choose Remove Attachment. This step is very important otherwise, the installation will restart.
Now you a have your own virtual machine loaded with kali Linux don’t forget to install the Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension. If you face any problem or don’t understand any step in this how to install kali linux 2.0 in VirtualBox guide feel free to ask in the comment we reply to every question related to how to install kali linux on Virtualbox windows 10
Also Read: Kali Linux commands complete list